Pages

25 September 2017

We Should All Be Feminists

Today's blog challenge is 'Feminism/Humanism/Womanism: Where do you stand'. I have no hesitation in stating where I stand: I am a feminist. And as much as I love rambling about my thoughts and positions for once in my life I would really like you to listen to someone who I think, managed to capture what being a feminist is; and why it is so necessary and important, in a way that every adult on this planet should hear out.

Ladies and gentlemen. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.



“I looked the word up in the dictionary, it said: Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. My great-grandmother, from stories I’ve heard, was a feminist. She ran away from the house of the man she did not want to marry and married the man of her choice. She refused, protested, spoke up when she felt she was being deprived of land and access because she was female. She did not know that word feminist. But it doesn’t mean she wasn’t one. More of us should reclaim that word. The best feminist I know is my brother Kene, who is also a kind, good-looking, and very masculine young man. My own definition is a feminist is a man or a woman who says, yes, there’s a problem with gender as it is today and we must fix it, we must do better. All of us, women and men, must do better.” 
― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, We Should All Be Feminists

No comments:

Post a Comment